02 February 2007

Groundhog Day

Living with a five-and-a-half year old, I learned today that Groundhog Day is a Major Holiday. Ethan came home from school THRILLED that Punxsutawney Phil and Sir Walter Wally (the local authority) had neither one seen their shadows. His class got to watch the ceremonies on TV, and Ethan created a terribly cute groundhog home. It's made of construction paper, and shows the main entrance to his groundhog's burrow, the kitchen, bedroom, and even a bathroom. My favorite part, though, is that the burrow has been outfitted with an emergency exit (even called that by E). He explained that "you never know who will come down that main hole and make you need to get out quick!"

He, of course, has a groundhog who can live in this burrow he's made, and on the back, there's a song. To the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot":

I'm a little groundhog, short and stout
On February second, I come out.
If I see my shadow they will shout,
"Six more weeks of winter without a doubt!"


For the time being, at least, this ditty has replaced "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" as E's favorite song.

No comments: